On 27 October 2008 I met members of the Shrimp and Dragonfly Guild in Sham Shui Po to show them where to buy the best Chinese knotting supplies.
Sham Shui Po is an amazing place to visit and is a stark contrast to the glitz and glamour of the designer stores found in other parts of Kowloon and Hong Kong Island. Here you will find flea markets and streets solely devoted to fashion, fabric, beads, gems and/or accessories. Although, Sham Shui Po is one of the poorest areas of Hong Kong it is actually a fashion designer's dream. This place is a window into the textile industry in mainland China and every imaginable type of fabric, button and/or trim can be purchased here. Needless to say, we had a fabulous day. So to all those budding fashion designers… make sure you visit Sham Shui Po when you next visit Hong Kong.
For those in Hong Kong, Chinese knotting supplies can be purchased from the following suppliers on the Kowloon side of Hong Kong:
- Tak Cheung Co. 124-126, G/G, Cheung Sha Wan Road, Tak Cheung Bldg, Sham Shui Po, Kowloon
- Nature’s Beauty, G/F, 148 Yu Chau Street, Sham Shui Po, Kowloon
- Luen Fung Beads Co. G/F., 199 Yu Chau Street, Sham Shui Po, Kowloon
- Fun Fun Imitation Jewellery Co 209 Yu Chau Street, Sham Shui Po, Kowloon
- Lap Sun Gem Company 247 Yu Chau Street, Sham Shui Po, Kowloon
- Mee Ngai Wah (HK)Ltd G/F, 289-291Yu Chau Street, Sham Shui Po, Kowloon