Tuesday, March 31, 2009

She Wong Lam Snake Shop



The exact same day that little r came home from school and told me that she had touched her first snake ever was also the day that I accidently discovered the snake shop in Sheung Wan. What first caught my eye was a small wire cage out the front of the shop with a couple of bedraggled looking snakes. After taking a couple of photo's, I walked into the shop and was fascinated to see piles of wooden boxes, bottles of what looked like snake oil and one bottled stripey snake. I was just about ready to leave the shop (a little disappointed that my photo's of the snakes didn't really turn out) when I noticed another wire cage toward the back of the shop. As I walked over, I felt my stomach churn as the cage was absolutely full to the brim of snakes of all colours. Suddently, another man appeared from the back of the shop and to my horror, he took the lid off the cage and pulled out about 3 snakes about a metre away from where I was standing. I took a couple of photo's, thanked him very much but then as quick as lightening, bolted from the shop. That day, little r was brave enough to touch a snake and was very excited about her adventure, however, unfortunately her poor mum couldn't say the same - I still feel sick just thinking about it.

She Wong Lam supply snakes to restaurants and from October until February each year sell snake soup. The shop is located at 13 Hillier Street, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong Tel: 25438032


Copyright © 2008 - 2009 All Rights Reserved

No comments: